Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sabbath Thoughts

My wife actually honors the Sabbath.  From sundown Saturday to Sundown Sunday she shuts off the computer and does no work outside the house.  An Orthodox Jew might have a problem with the gardening, canning and other work she does, but she is more observant of the Sabbath than I am.  I go to Church Sunday morning.  I work out on Sunday afternoon.  But I look at email in between.

So since I am on line on the Sabbath anyway, I will try to keep my Sunday posts about faith as it relates to adoption.

There are as many reasons to adopt as there are people who adopt.  My reason for adopting began with faith.  I am a Believer, orthodox (with a small "o") which means I can describe my faith with the Nicene and Apostles' Creeds.

At this point if faith is not part of your interest in adoption, you should skip to tomorrow's post.  For those of us who believe God is Lord of the Universe and us, we do our often stuttering best to do His will.  And in that, some of us go crazy.

The main reason I am adopting kids, especially boys, is because I think I can do a good job being a father to them.  Granted, the bar is not high.  Boys who are available for adoption mostly have not had fathers in their lives, so I am an improvement simply by being here.  As a matter of faith, I can feel very confident that in this one thing I am obeying the Lord.  If there is any command in Scripture that is clear it is the command to care for widows and orphans.  Old Testament, New Testament completely agree we are to care for widows and orphans.  And there are plenty of widows and orphans around, since it is much more popular to take Genesis and Revelation literally than the book of James or the Sermon on the Mount.

From a faith perspective, I think it is safest to take the Bible literally when there is a real cost.  Visit prisoners, care for the sick, give your money and possessions away--these are not the popular parts of the Bible to take literally.  I haven't done any of those yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment