Tuesday, October 4, 2011

German perspective on American Adoption

At my day job are visiting scholars from many countries.  Today I mentioned our adoption plans to a young woman who is working at our library for a year on a post-doctorate fellowship.  I mentioned something about our family possibly adopting two more boys.

"More," she said.  "How many do you have?"

"Two," I said showing her a picture of Nigel and Jacari with Emarion.  She said, "I hope I am not being to intrusive but could you tell me. . ."

she asked where the boys came from, why we were and are adopting, how many children we wanted, how our families (parents, siblings) felt about our adoption, how the boys felt about being adopted, and maybe 20 more questions.  She said she is at an age when many of her friends are having kids and was curious about the whole idea of adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment