Thursday, November 10, 2011

Feelings, Duty and Adoption

This morning my wife and I were talking about the process of adopting Emarion.  Later today I will call his social worker and try to arrange a time to bring him to our house for next weekend and over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.  Next weekend is Nigel's birthday.  Thanksgiving is when his sisters will be in town--a rare occurrence happening just a few times a year.  

Annalisa wants to get Emarion moved into our house as soon as possible and get him fully integrated into our family.  For her, adopting is providing a home for a child who needs one.  So once Providence, circumstances and the foster-care system has put a child in our lives, she wants to get on with the adoption process and get it done.  For me, providing a home for these boys is the most clear path I have to doing God's Will in my life--which I am not very good at otherwise.  So I also think we should keep the process moving.

The rest of the world clearly thinks feelings have a much more prominent role in this process than we do.  How does Emarion feel about the whole thing?  I don't know.  Chances are he doesn't either.  With us he will be a member of a family, have brothers his own age and have a place to call home while grows up.  When he goes off to college, gets a job, and finds his way in the world, he will have a place to call home.  

For anyone coming out of the foster-care system, moving into a permanent home has to feel weird and uncomfortable.  Annalisa and I think the faster this process moves the sooner everyone can get on with life.   

1 comment:

  1. You and Annalisa are a great blessing to Emarion, as I'm sure he will be in your lives and those of his new siblings. Those "forever homes" are pretty wonderful places for kids in foster care. As far as your doing God's will, the psalmist seems to agree with you (as do I).
    You are teaching Emarion the most valuable lesson, children are to be wanted, to be loved because they are God's gift.


    Psa 127:3 Lo, children are a heritage of Jehovah; And the fruit of the womb is his reward.
    Psa 127:4 As arrows in the hand of a mighty man, So are the children of youth.
    Psa 127:5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: They shall not be put to shame, When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

    ReplyDelete